Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On trying to be an adult..

So it's been a while but a lot has happened. I graduated with my Associate's, I moved into an apartment with a friend of mine, and I am learning how to live on my own....not an easy task.

I'm trying to make it with a $9/hr job in a house that costs $500 a month...you do the math. Granted I had money saved up for the big purchases (bed, furniture, etc..) but you would be amazed at how much you take for granted at your house until you don't have it anymore. Little things like a shower rack to store shampoo or a kitchen table ( yea, its been 3 weeks and still no table haha). I have also come to have a new respect for my parents who went shopping religiously every Sunday and came home with bags full of goodies...definitly not cheap. I have been living off PB&J and pasta and let me tell you...I'm gettin tired of it.

After talking to my Mom numerous times about "how things are going" we both came to the realization that if I was completely on my own I would probably crash and burn. Of course, if I was completely on my own I would hopefully be at a job where I was at least making double digits an hour....but in todays world I cant be too sure of that. This whole thing made me realize that everything is becoming so real and I fear that the independence I want to have will never come because I won't be able to afford to do all the adult things like buy a home or a car. I'm sure I am just making myself nuts ( which I realize that I do alot to myself) but it is just another thing that runs through my head all the time! ughh

2 comments:

Bill said...

Deep Breaths.

Deeeeep Breaths!

Before you make yourself any crazier (a trait that we both inherited from dear old mom) realize a few things.

-- You're still in school. You have time to make yourself more marketable and get the job with the double digit hourly wage. Relax on that one.

-- YOU WOULD NOT HAVE CRASHED AND BURNED!!! Yes, you would have struggled, but you would have survived, and the lessons learned would have made you stronger. The minute you start believing that you cannot make it on your own in ANY situation is the minute you fail. I wish some people (not you) would stop acting like their father, only finding the crap in every situation....

-- Don't worry about the future in the 'OMFG the economy is SUXXORZ!!11!!' think of the future as 'What can I do now to ensure that I can be successful in ANY economy?' And DO NOT loose sleep over it. Truly think about it. Come up with ideas, share them, trash them, think of new ones, Trash those, clean up old ideas, combine them with the new ones, trash everything, take a shot of Tequila, and start all over. You think that the Wright Brothers woke up one morning, walked into their woodshop and built that damn flying machine?? Of course not. I have NO DOUBT that a LOT of Tequila was involved in that endeavor!!

Relax. Just take a deep breath and relax. It's all gonna be okay. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The force is strong in your Jedi brother. Hmmm... SISTER! I bet it will be strong in you too.